The Ahab fountain pen by Noodler's is a tribute to the timeless novel, Moby-Dick, by Herman Melville. It boasts a generously sized body and a steel nib that can flex to create beautiful line variation. The pen also features a handcrafted ebonite feed and a piston-filling system that can be detached, allowing for the entire barrel to be filled with ink.
The Noodler's Ahab flex pen boasts a steel flexible #6 nib and a slide piston mechanism. Should you desire, you can also detach the piston mechanism and use the pen as an eyedropper for an enormous 6ml ink capacity. This translucent yellow demonstrator Ahab is crafted from a celluloid derivative and is technically biodegradable, formed from a "renewable resource". The vegetal resin body of this pen may exhibit particles or striations within the material, particularly evident in demonstrators and bright colours.
If you are a fountain pen enthusiast who loves to experiment with your writing instruments, then Noodler's flex pens are perfect for you. Embrace the ink-stained fingers and take your time to adjust the nib and feed until it feels just right. To get the most out of your Ahab pen, we suggest following these tips:
- Thoroughly clean the pen before using it for the first time.
- Apply gentle pressure on your downstrokes to spread the nib's tines and create line variation.
- Avoid writing too quickly while flexing the pen as it may cause the ink flow to struggle and the pen to stop writing.
- If the pen stops writing, let it rest for a few minutes to allow the feed to recharge with ink. You can also try tapping the nib on a scratch paper or using the piston mechanism to force more ink into the nib to speed up the process.
- Adjust the nib and feed's depth and seating position in the grip section to customize the ink flow according to your preference. The deeper the feed is inserted and the further back the nib is seated, the wetter the pen will write.
The Ahab pen is made of environmentally friendly vegetal resin derived from celluloid. It has a unique scent that gradually fades with time but never disappears entirely. If you want to reduce the smell's intensity, you can leave the pen in direct sunlight. The Ahab Flex pen comes with a plunger filling mechanism, a fine-medium width flex steel nib, and a screw-fit cap with a polished metal clip. Although it is a long pen, it is postable with a lightweight cap that maintains the pen's balance.
- Filling Mechanism:
- In the box: